CPS confirms layoffs affecting more than 2,000 teachers, staff
July 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- CPS will lay off more than 2,000 employees on Friday, citing budget cuts and declining enrollment.
The Chicago Teachers Union first announced the cuts on Thursday afternoon in a press release. The layoffs reportedly include 1,074 teachers, 451 paraprofessionals and 550 other CPS employees. CTU President Karen Lewis said that employees can expect calls from school principals on Friday morning.
On Thursday night, CPS confirmed layoffs will be announced Friday. CPS attributed the layoffs to budget cuts and declining enrollment.
chicago public schools, local
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 24 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days 34 min ago
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary 13 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
24 min ago