CPS confirms layoffs affecting more than 2,000 teachers, staff
July 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- CPS will lay off more than 2,000 employees on Friday, citing budget cuts and declining enrollment.
The Chicago Teachers Union first announced the cuts on Thursday afternoon in a press release. The layoffs reportedly include 1,074 teachers, 451 paraprofessionals and 550 other CPS employees. CTU President Karen Lewis said that employees can expect calls from school principals on Friday morning.
On Thursday night, CPS confirmed layoffs will be announced Friday. CPS attributed the layoffs to budget cuts and declining enrollment.
chicago public schools, local
- Chicago Weather: Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 5 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square 4 min ago
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd 51 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
25 min ago