Chicago beaches get free Wi-Fi
July 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Finish your summer read? Download a new book- at the beach. Several Chicago beaches are now offering free, high-speed wireless to visitors.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Chicago Park District said starting Friday, July 19, 2013, free Wi-Fi is available at North Avenue, Osterman/Hollywood, Montrose, Foster and Rainbow beaches.
The city says free wireless will also be made available at other outdoor locations -- like parks, beaches and public plazas-- soon.
"In the coming months, we will build off of this initiative and the free wi-fi offered in Millennium Park by extending free wi-fi services to additional parks and public spaces throughout Chicago," Emanuel said in a statement.
The free wireless is possible through Everywhere Wireless, Cisco and the Chicago Park District.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 49 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 26 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash 29 min ago
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder 43 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
49 min ago