Chicago beaches get free Wi-Fi
July 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Finish your summer read? Download a new book- at the beach. Several Chicago beaches are now offering free, high-speed wireless to visitors.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the Chicago Park District said starting Friday, July 19, 2013, free Wi-Fi is available at North Avenue, Osterman/Hollywood, Montrose, Foster and Rainbow beaches.
The city says free wireless will also be made available at other outdoor locations -- like parks, beaches and public plazas-- soon.
"In the coming months, we will build off of this initiative and the free wi-fi offered in Millennium Park by extending free wi-fi services to additional parks and public spaces throughout Chicago," Emanuel said in a statement.
The free wireless is possible through Everywhere Wireless, Cisco and the Chicago Park District.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 1 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples 24 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos