103-year-old fulfills dream; shops, dances at Macy's
July 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- She's 103 years old, and Friday, Maude Harlow hit Chicago on a big-city shopping tour.
She was born in 1910, just a few years after the State Street Marshall Field's building was constructed, and yet she had never seen it.
Her health is failing, but Friday, her dream came true: to visit Chicago and shop at the historic location.
Harlow walked through the doors of what was once Marshall Field's -- now Macy's -- dressed in her favorite color and wearing a big floppy red hat. The department store welcomed her with open arms.
Harlow loves purses and shopped to her heart's content, looking for the perfect handbag. Macy's gifted her with a beautiful red Calvin Klein, which she quickly wrapped around her shoulder.
Harlow likes being the center of attention and posed for all of us. She was so happy that she even danced for us.
"You are never too old to shop," said Andrea Schwartz of Macy's.
Harlow lives in Wilmington, sixty miles outside of Chicago, and always wanted to come to the big city. What would a visit to Macy's be without a stop in the Walnut Room for afternoon tea?
Next stop: lunch at Sweetwater Tavern and Grille on Michigan Avenue. The day ended with a visit to City Hall. Mayor Rahm Emanuel presented Harlow with a gift and gave her a tour of his office.
Harlow wanted to say a few words holding the ABC7 microphone: "I feel very proud of all of you thinking you would come this far for a person you don't even know -- an old baby -- 103 years old!"
Harlow turns 104 in August.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody 10 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans