6-year-old shot, critically injured along with grandmother in Roseland shooting
July 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police have a person of interest directly linked to the shooting of a 6-year-old Chicago girl, and sources say they may end up charging more than one person.
"She is fighting for her life as we speak," said Juannakee Kennedy, victim's mother.
A little girl's parents appeal for help and for justice.
"Please, I know you didn't mean to do this on purpose," Kennedy said. "Please don't go the Ugh life with guilt on your heart. We forgive you. We just want some justice for our baby."
Six-year-old Quianna Tompkins is one of two innocent bystanders who were shot Friday night on the 300 block of West 105th Street.
Ironically, both were at a yearly memorial to remember a 24-year-old shot and killed while sitting on a porch five years ago. Tempest Abdullah's 52-year old aunt was the other bystander shot. And it was her daughter who was playing with Quianna on a scooter when the shooting started on the street, catching her in the crossfire.
"She turned around and blood was gushing out of her chest and I just ran to put pressure on her wound. I was yelling, 'Call 911. Call 911.' She was so helpless," Abdullah said.
Speaking at Advocate Christ Children's Hospital Saturday evening, Quianna's parents spoke with pride of their little girl who just celebrated her sixth birthday July 5.
"My baby girl is an artist," her mother said. "She was valedictorian at her kindergarten graduation. Such a joy, so smart. She got so much to give. Please give her a chance. Please."
"Something needs to be done before someone else's child is out playing gets shot for no reason at all except playing in summertime," said Kenneth Tompkins, Quianna's father.
city of chicago, shooting, local
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 29 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 24 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 3 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 2 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 50 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
29 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
24 min ago