6-year-old shot, critically injured along with grandmother in Roseland shooting
July 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police have a person of interest directly linked to the shooting of a 6-year-old Chicago girl, and sources say they may end up charging more than one person.
"She is fighting for her life as we speak," said Juannakee Kennedy, victim's mother.
A little girl's parents appeal for help and for justice.
"Please, I know you didn't mean to do this on purpose," Kennedy said. "Please don't go the Ugh life with guilt on your heart. We forgive you. We just want some justice for our baby."
Six-year-old Quianna Tompkins is one of two innocent bystanders who were shot Friday night on the 300 block of West 105th Street.
Ironically, both were at a yearly memorial to remember a 24-year-old shot and killed while sitting on a porch five years ago. Tempest Abdullah's 52-year old aunt was the other bystander shot. And it was her daughter who was playing with Quianna on a scooter when the shooting started on the street, catching her in the crossfire.
"She turned around and blood was gushing out of her chest and I just ran to put pressure on her wound. I was yelling, 'Call 911. Call 911.' She was so helpless," Abdullah said.
Speaking at Advocate Christ Children's Hospital Saturday evening, Quianna's parents spoke with pride of their little girl who just celebrated her sixth birthday July 5.
"My baby girl is an artist," her mother said. "She was valedictorian at her kindergarten graduation. Such a joy, so smart. She got so much to give. Please give her a chance. Please."
"Something needs to be done before someone else's child is out playing gets shot for no reason at all except playing in summertime," said Kenneth Tompkins, Quianna's father.
city of chicago, shooting, local
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- World mourns Nelson Mandela
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Illinois pension bill private signing questioned
- Local teams playing for Pop Warner football championships
- Chicago speed cameras added on North, South Sides
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Hanover Park man charged with indecent solicitation gets $250K...
- Victim ID'd, 2nd car sought after fatal Skokie tree crash
- Loop attorney, nephew charged with sex assault of man
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas 49 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open in...
11 min ago
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next...
29 min ago