Congressman Bobby Rush asks for more trauma centers on Chicago's South Side
July 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Congressman Bobby Rush (D-Chicago) says there are not enough trauma centers in the city, so he's created a new bill to get more money to build them in the places that need it the most.
Jackson Park Hospital sees 25,000 patients come through its ER each year. It's a community hospital like others on the south and southwest sides of Chicago.
But a patient with a gunshot wound typically needs treatment at Trauma One Medical Center, and that could be miles away.
"Travel times to trauma centers must be reduced," said Dr. William Dorsey, CEO, Jackson Park Hospital.
On Monday, Congressman Rush proposed the Trauma Act to get federal money for Trauma One centers in areas with many gunshot wound patients.
"The number one trauma desert is the South Side of Chicago," said Congressman Rush.
A trauma surgeon at Northwestern University Hospital studied travel times for gunshot wound victims.
A map shows shaded areas with patients who had to travel more than thirty minutes travel time.
Another study shows a higher mortality rate for gunshot patients who are more than five miles from a Trauma One hospital.
Some shared personal experiences and their hopes for other options on the South Side.
In May, Kevin Ambrose was shot at 47th and Prairie. The college student died at Stroger Hospital on the Near West Side.
His friend says they actually beat the ambulance to the hospital that day.
city of chicago, chicago violence, local, leah hope
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans