Divvy bikes: Chicago bike sharing busiest in world, city says
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- More of those light blue bicycles are coming to town. Divvy, Chicago's bike sharing program, is expanding.
"We've seen over 50,000 trips over these first three weeks. We've taken enough trips to go around the earth seven times," Elliot Greenberger, Divvy, said.
Each station has a touchscreen kiosk, station map and a docking system that releases bikes using a member key or ride code. Divvy bikes can be used by half hour increments or all weekend long.
"People who get 24 hour passes for the weekend, we saw 3,000 trips on Saturday and 3,000 trips on Sunday," Greenberger said.
One of the most popular ways: ditching the bus or a cab- and biking to work.
"Any place where it's a little inconvenient to take the CTA. I do a lot of stuff downtown so it's convenient," Patrick Loftus, Divvy user, said. "I have a Divvy bike rack 50 yards from my front door so I go and grab it and go just about anywhere downtown it's really easy."
Others use it for leisure trips.
"This is very nice because it's, I can go everywhere very near, and it's easy, yes," Jasmine Bello, Divvy user, said.
An annual membership costs $75 and includes unlimited 30-minute bike trips. Twenty-four hour passes are $7.
Divvy plans to add 40 new stations by the end of this week, and 3,000 bikes by the end of the summer. Find current and planned Divvy Bikes Stations on this map.
local, diane pathieu
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 43 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 29 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster 28 min ago
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- Russia, Crimean politicians discuss referendum 15 min ago
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
29 min ago