Third teen charged in shooting of Quianna Tompkins, 6
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Three teens have been charged in the Friday night shooting of 6-year-old Quianna Tompkins.
Landon Barker, 16, Angelo Clark, 17, and Terrence Lynom, 16, are charged with two counts each of attempted murder and two counts each of aggravated battery with a firearm.
Tompkins and 52-year-old Lisa Travis were both shot during a memorial vigil for a 24-year-old who was killed by gunfire five years ago while sitting on a porch.
Travis walks with a cane as she recovers from a gunshot wound to her thigh. The CTA bus driver was shot as she arrived for an annual family barbecue in honor of her slain nephew.
"We never had a problem, this time I don't know what happened, they just came out and started shooting," she said.
Travis thought it was fireworks until she collapsed.
"I didn't know what happened; my feet went dead, I couldn't feel my feet, it's been terrible," she said.
A bullet hole remains near the trunk of Travis' car.
"I'm glad they were caught, especially for the little girl because I'm so concerned about her," Travis said.
Travis says the key to saving her own grandson from the streets is education and keeping him active and blames parents for their violent children.
"They grow up to be disrespectful; they don't respect their mothers. How are they going to respect you? Parents don't teach them," Travis said.
Speaking at Advocate Christ Children's Hospital Saturday evening, Quianna's parents spoke with pride of their little girl, who just celebrated her sixth birthday July 5.
"My baby girl is an artist," her mother, Juannakee Kennedy, said. "She was valedictorian at her kindergarten graduation. Such a joy, so smart. She got so much to give. Please give her a chance. Please."
"Something needs to be done before someone else's child is out playing gets shot for no reason at all except playing in summertime," said Kenneth Tompkins, Quianna's father.
Pastor Corey Brooks tells ABC7 that Tompkins is in serious but stable condition.
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement 29 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 51 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS 40 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos