High waves up to 13 feet expected along Lake Michigan shoreline
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for residents who are heading to the beach Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday.
Coast Guard patrols prepare for what could be a busy Tuesday night. Petty Officer First Class Josh Post recommends people stay out of the water until the currents and waves subside. "With the waves like this, it's unpredictable. And at night, you can't see which direction the waves are coming from," said Officer Post.
The National Weather Service says waves will build from seven to 10 feet on Tuesday evening, with a possibility of some waves reaching 15 feet. The highest waves are expected from South Chicago to Michigan City.
At North Avenue Beach, there is now a yellow flag indicating a swim advisory, which urges swimmers to take precautions due to high waves and potentially life-threatening rip currents. Chicago area beaches are reporting one to two foot waves, but waves are expected to build throughout the evening.
"We're monitoring the situation to see what we should do going forward," said Vaughn Bryant, Chicago Park District.
Chicago beaches remain open, but Lane and Osterman Beaches in Chicago have enacted a swim ban.
On Tuesday afternoon, the City of Evanston announced it had closed all six of its Lake Michigan beaches due to worsening wave conditions.
Around Lake Michigan evidence of the rough water was evident. In Indiana, waves over took some swimmers. And in Michigan, some boaters seemed ill-prepared for the strong surf.
lake michigan, local, leah hope
- Spring-like temperatures to give way to snow 2 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts 41 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 27 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap 46 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos