High waves up to 13 feet expected along Lake Michigan shoreline
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for residents who are heading to the beach Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday.
Coast Guard patrols prepare for what could be a busy Tuesday night. Petty Officer First Class Josh Post recommends people stay out of the water until the currents and waves subside. "With the waves like this, it's unpredictable. And at night, you can't see which direction the waves are coming from," said Officer Post.
The National Weather Service says waves will build from seven to 10 feet on Tuesday evening, with a possibility of some waves reaching 15 feet. The highest waves are expected from South Chicago to Michigan City.
At North Avenue Beach, there is now a yellow flag indicating a swim advisory, which urges swimmers to take precautions due to high waves and potentially life-threatening rip currents. Chicago area beaches are reporting one to two foot waves, but waves are expected to build throughout the evening.
"We're monitoring the situation to see what we should do going forward," said Vaughn Bryant, Chicago Park District.
Chicago beaches remain open, but Lane and Osterman Beaches in Chicago have enacted a swim ban.
On Tuesday afternoon, the City of Evanston announced it had closed all six of its Lake Michigan beaches due to worsening wave conditions.
Around Lake Michigan evidence of the rough water was evident. In Indiana, waves over took some swimmers. And in Michigan, some boaters seemed ill-prepared for the strong surf.
lake michigan, local, leah hope
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement 25 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 47 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS 36 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos