Memorial for Emmett Till murder witness
July 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Friends and family will pay tribute Wednesday night to a Chicago man who was one of the last remaining witnesses of the murder of Emmett Till.
Willie Reed died last week at the age of 76.
He was 18 years old when he witnessed the murder of Till in Mississippi.
Reed moved to Chicago after the trial.
He told prosecutors that he saw the two men charged with Till's murder driving a truck with the boy in the back, and then later heard screams coming from a nearby barn.
Despite fearing for his life, Reed came forward and testified at trial.
A memorial service takes place Wednesday night at 6 at a South Side church.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 7 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 3 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 55 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 16 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
7 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
3 min ago