Memorial for Emmett Till murder witness
July 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Friends and family will pay tribute Wednesday night to a Chicago man who was one of the last remaining witnesses of the murder of Emmett Till.
Willie Reed died last week at the age of 76.
He was 18 years old when he witnessed the murder of Till in Mississippi.
Reed moved to Chicago after the trial.
He told prosecutors that he saw the two men charged with Till's murder driving a truck with the boy in the back, and then later heard screams coming from a nearby barn.
Despite fearing for his life, Reed came forward and testified at trial.
A memorial service takes place Wednesday night at 6 at a South Side church.
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Massachusetts bans 'upskirt' photos after ruling
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
19 min ago