Nathan Woessner, boy buried in sand at Indiana Dunes, discharged from hospital
July 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Nathan Woessner, the 6-year-old boy who was buried alive by sand at the Ind. sand dunes, has been released from Chicago's Comer Children's Hospital.
Nathan was released Tuesday afternoon. He will continue to receive rehabilitative therapy elsewhere for several days. Nathan's parents have asked for privacy as they focus on helping their child recover, the hospital said.
The little boy being called a miracle by some staffers is settling into LaRabida Children's Hospital. Nathan was transferred here yesterday for specialized rehabilitation. He was well enough to take photos at Comer Children's Hospital before he was discharged.
He suffered critical damage to his lungs from inhaling sand.
Woessner's family released two new pictures of the boy Monday. They show him walking down the hospital hall with his father and sleeping in his hospital bed.
"Nathan is listed as in good condition and continues to improve. He returns to a regular diet today and can leave his room to visit the playroom," Dr. Dana Mitchell, University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital, said through a statement Monday.
On Sunday, the boy's grandfather said Nathan may go home as early as the end of the week.
indiana dunes, local
- Major CTA Red Line train delays; No service 63rd to 95th 2 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 23 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- 4M passengers expected at Chicago's airports during holidays
- Man charged with fatal shooting of 12-year-old in 2012
- Deck the malls with security
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- London Apollo Theatre collapse injures 79
- 7 in :77
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
23 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos