Worker shocked, falls from 3 story scaffolding in Lakeview on Oakdale near Halsted
July 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A worker was shocked when a transformer blew, throwing him from third-floor scaffolding in the Lakeview neighborhood on the city's North Side.
Several people heard a small boom.
"I heard somebody say, 'Call an ambulance, call an ambulance.' I was like, 'You're a doctor.' I was like, 'Let's go,'" Brian Murphy said.
The 24-year-old man, who has not been identified, had trouble breathing when Murphy arrived at his side. He was taken to Illinois Masonic in critical condition with burns to his body and head trauma.
The man was tuck-pointing the building when it appears either he or the steel scaffolding he was on made contact a 12 kilowatt electrical wire. The scaffolding was just inches from ComEd wires.
Seventy homes are without power near the 700-block of Oakdale, just east of Halsted.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 21 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77