Teen mother killed in Harvard murder, suicide, police say
July 25, 2013 (HARVARD, Ill.) (WLS) -- Jackie Flores, 17, was killed by her former boyfriend, Miguel Andrade, who then turned a gun on himself, Harvard police say. The couple has a young child.
The apparent murder-suicide took place in Harvard, which is about 70 miles northwest of Chicago on the Illinois/Wisconsin border, early Thursday morning.
Flores would have been a senior at Harvard High School.
"It's heartbreaking. I'm going to miss her," Henry Nunez, friend, said.
Flores' body was found a block from her home in a neighbor's yard. She had suffered head wounds. The body of Andrade, 19, was found nearby. Police say he had what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
"It's hard to see young people killing each other," Jose Celis, neighbor, said. "What can I say?"
"It's kind of scary," Zuhaib Zia, neighbor, said. "I'm kind of sad. I heard it was just kids, a 19-year old and 17-year old."
Friends say Flores and Andrade have a child. According to police records, in January Andrade was arrested on charges of endangering the life of a child, assault, battery and harassment via electronic communication.
"I was worried but, she said she was OK, so I trusted her," Cynthia, a friend, said.
local, leah hope
- Refinery fire after possible explosion
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary 25 min ago
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction 14 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy
- 7 in :77