Rash of robberies reported along Chicago lakefront near Hyde Park, Kenwood
July 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are warning residents in the Kenwood and Hyde Park neighborhoods after there have been three attacks in the last three weeks along the Chicago lakefront.
Police say the robbers are a group of as many as 13 teenagers and young men. Police say they displayed weapons or attacked their victims, then robbed them.
Chicago Police issued a community alert Thursday night after three robberies this month happened along the south lakefront.
Two robberies occurred on the 4300-block of South Lake Shore Drive on July 5 and July 19, and one on the 4700-block of South Lake Shore Drive on July 17.
Two to 13 male offenders reportedly displayed weapons or physically attacked victims and then stole property.
"It's just really alarming that we're still having these robberies around the Hyde Park neighborhood, it just seems like a really great neighborhood where we can be safe, but it really scares me," said Arielle Topps, lakeshore path runner.
Police patrols can be seen along the path, but joggers and cyclists say they know to be aware of their surroundings.
"I usually see a lot of cops riding along this path, so I feel safe," said Imelda Hernandez, lakeshore path runner.
And for some young women, a run on a gorgeous evening can't help but carry a hint of self-defense.
"You have to be aware, period, you have to watch your surroundings, looking back, side while you're running. Who's ever around, know your surroundings," said Genae Davis, lakeshore path runner.
Chicago police say they will increase patrols along the lakeshore path.
local, ravi baichwal
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 40 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
38 min ago