Ryan Harris picnic honors girl sexually assaulted, killed in 1998
July 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A picnic was held in the Englewood neighborhood Sunday to honor the memory of Ryan Harris, the 11-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted and murdered in 1998.
Harris's body was left in an abandoned lot.
Seven-year-old and 8-year-old boys were charged, but prosecutors later realized they had made a mistake. A 29-year-old man was later convicted of the crime.
Sunday's picnic was held at Ryan Harris Memorial Park at 67th Street and Lowe and included a balloon release.
Two months ago, a relative of Ryan Harris was killed at that park in a random shooting. On Sunday, family and friends remembered both Harris and 30-year-old Shaneda Lawrence.
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos