Ryan Harris picnic honors girl sexually assaulted, killed in 1998
July 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A picnic was held in the Englewood neighborhood Sunday to honor the memory of Ryan Harris, the 11-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted and murdered in 1998.
Harris's body was left in an abandoned lot.
Seven-year-old and 8-year-old boys were charged, but prosecutors later realized they had made a mistake. A 29-year-old man was later convicted of the crime.
Sunday's picnic was held at Ryan Harris Memorial Park at 67th Street and Lowe and included a balloon release.
Two months ago, a relative of Ryan Harris was killed at that park in a random shooting. On Sunday, family and friends remembered both Harris and 30-year-old Shaneda Lawrence.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits