Police kill man allegedly stabbing wife in Gage Park area
July 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police shot and killed a man they said was stabbing his wife.
The woman contacted Chicago police, saying her estranged husband was following her.
When officers got to a home in the 5200-block of South Mozart, they say they asked to see the wife's order of protection. She reportedly went to get it through a rear door, and that is when the estranged husband --who was hiding out in the area-- allegedly started attacking her.
Police officers said they feared for their lives and shot the man.
"As she's walking down the gangway to go into the back door, the officers hear screams. They immediately respond to it. Here is the ex-husband on top of the complaintant stabbing her with this large butcher knife. As the officers are about three feet away from him, he sees them, jumps up and starts coming at the officers with the butcher knife in hand. At that point, the officers defending themselves and defending the complaintant, shoot him," said Pat Camden of the Fraternal Order of Police.
The woman's injuries were not thought to be life-threatening. She was treated and released from a hospital.
No police officers were injured.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour 58 min ago
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot