Addison man Kurtis Worley charged with murdering wife Martha Worley
July 29, 2013 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- In a bond hearing Monday, DuPage County prosecutors said an Addison man confessed to killing his wife after she refused to have sex with him but said he did not remember also stabbing his 15-year-old stepson.
Kurtis Worley, 33, is now charged with the murder of his wife, Martha.
Prosecutors say the murder happened Friday in Addison.
Monday morning, the suspect made his first court appearance in Wheaton.
Bond was set at $3 million. Prosecutors detailed the chain of events that led to Martha Worley's death and they say that her husband provided police a full recorded confession.
Flowers and candles sit on this Addison home's doorstep, as the neighborhood continues to mourn 39-year-old Martha Worley, who was allegedly stabbed by her husband late Thursday night.
"People say they're in shock. I was completely shocked," said neighbor Jim Ilosvay.
Meanwhile, the accused husband appeared in court for the first time Monday. Prosecutors told the judge how Worley, by his own admission, stared at his wife's sleeping figure for several minutes before stabbing and pummeling her in the head.
Prosecutors said Worley was upset that his wife, who'd asked for a divorce, refused to have sex with him "one last time."
Worley also allegedly stabbed his 15-year-old stepson after the teenager tried to come to his mother's aid and then tried to kill himself.
"There are no words to explain what a big heart he has," Evelyn Villegas said of the stepson. "He risked his life for his own mom. He's amazing."
Monday, neighbors said their main concern is Martha Worley's three children, aged 15, 12 and 9. A collection is being started to help them out in any way possible.
"She came around (Sunday) with a sympathy card," Ilosvay said. "People are signing it and giving money. (I) talked to some neighbors across the street and they were crying, couldn't believe because they are so family with all the kids and stuff."
A close friend of Martha Worley, who was with the family just prior to the stabbing, said the children are now living with Martha's sister.
Martha Worley is helping people, even in death. As an organ donor, she was able to save five lives. Her funeral will most likely be scheduled for Friday or Saturday.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot