Khalise Weatherspoon, 4, recovering from shooting in Marquette Park area
July 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Khalise Weatherspoon, 4, and a man in his 30's were shot in the city's Chicago Lawn neighborhood on Monday afternoon, police said.
Police say the girl was not the intended target, and was riding a scooter at the time she was struck.
Relatives waited nervously outside the hospital Monday night as doctors treated the gunshot wound.
"We were just celebrating her 4th birthday just this past weekend, you know, I just don't get it. We need to stop the violence," said Richard Spires, Khalise's grandfather.
"Very angry. It makes no sense to shoot a baby, 4 years old. Very angry, and very hurt," said Pamela Williams, Khalise's aunt.
Khalise Weatherspoon just turned 4 years old over the weekend.
Police combed the scene near 71st and Rockwell looking for evidence, hoping it will lead to the suspects who opened fire.
Some witnesses say one or possibly two men emerged from the alley and started shooting.
One bullet struck little Weatherspoon in the abdomen, and exited out her back. Her mother ran to her.
"She come behind me and with her baby in her hands said, 'Derrik, my baby been shot.' And I grabbed the baby and I cupped her, put her in my car. And I did just what the police would do: ran every stoplight just to get her here to save this child," said Derrik Lewis, witness.
Relatives rushed Weatherspoon from the scene to Holy Cross Hospital, but doctors quickly decided she needed to be at a trauma center so they brought her to Mount Sinai.
Relatives say she seems to be doing better, but they want the violence to stop.
"She was innocent, riding her bicycle. These children should be allowed to go outside and ride their bicycles. I think it's terrible what's going on," said Gwendolyn Baxter, family friend.
A 31-year-old man walking by the scene was also shot. His injuries are not considered serious.
Police say the shooting was likely gang-related, but so far do not have any suspects in custody.
chicago violence, shooting, local, john garcia
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 7 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 50 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions 40 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children 22 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 47 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 50 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
7 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
47 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
50 min ago