Sopraffina first bulk buyer of Cook Co. Jail produce
July 31, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago-based restaurant Sopraffina is the first bulk buyer of produce grown at Cook County Jail's Urban Garden.
The restaurant has five downtown locations and specializes in Italian food from locally raised and sustainable produce. For 20 years, the Cook County Jail garden has been tended by detainees who learn gardening skills through the program.
Chicago restaurants Yusho, The Publican, Blackbird and Avec also buy fruits and vegetables from the garden.
- Freeze hits Chicago area, snow expected Sunday
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Couples renew marriage vows at Field Museum
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area