Metra Chairman of the Board Brad O'Halloran has resigned
August 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The chairman of the Metra Board, Brad O'Halloran, resigned Thursday.
O'Halloran feels that despite what he considers making decisions in the best interest of Metra, he has become a distraction to the agency's business and it is time to step down.
O'Halloran was elected Metra chair in November 2012 by the board. He says he acted in a transparent way by asking the agency's inspector general to take the most effective action in the aftermath of buying out Alex Clifford, Metra's executive director, for $718,000 in April.
It was a business decision O'Halloran maintained was better than getting sued by Clifford, action the transportation executive threatened to take when he alleged he had been pressured to hire and promote political allies of Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan.
In a letter to Cook County commissioners O'Halloran writes: "It is with mixed feelings that I step down. Unfortunately a media and political frenzy has been stirred up (and) the truly critical issues facing Metra will be left aside while the focus remains on the next big headline or attention-grabbing quote."
O'Halloran believes anyone "who knows the true facts can seriously charge that I, or anyone at Metra, tried to cover up allegations" of political impropriety.
That brings to three, the number of Metra board members that have recently resigned.
The question now is whether vice-chair Jack Partelow will have the confidence of the board to assume the top position or will perhaps the entire board resign, as has been called for in newspaper editorials.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 39 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 58 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school 21 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
39 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos