Metra fallout continues after O'Halloran resigns
August 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Former Metra Chairman Brad O'Halloran resigned in the wake of a patronage scandal. Will the rest of the board follow?
Metra Vice Chairman John Partelow, who may be the next in line to lead the board, said he was surprised by O'Halloran resignation.
"The chairman did what he thought was necessary to do in his situation. He'd been under fire for some time, and I guess that's what prompted it," Partelow said.
In the resignation letter submitted on Thursday, O'Halloran addressed patronage allegations and claims that a $718,000 severance for ousted Metra CEO Alex Clifford was hush money.
He wrote, "My reaction was not to 'hush' anything up, but rather to direct the matter immediately to the inspector general, so that he could get to the bottom of it."
Clifford made allegations that House Speaker Michael Madigan put pressure on Metra for political patronage.
Metra released a statement thanking O'Halloran for his service, and said there won't be any changes to service.
What isn't clear is if others members of Metra's board will follow O'Halloran's lead.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 43 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 6 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 29 min ago
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont 16 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
29 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
43 min ago
- 2014 International Home + Housewares Show
47 min ago