3 charged in shooting of Khalise Weatherspoon, 4, near Marquette Park
August 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Three people have been charged in the shooting of a little girl at 71st and Rockwell last week near Marquette Park.
Laquan Waters, 18, of the 6900 block of S. Artesian, Tyrese Pearson, 17, of the 9300 block of S. Greenwood and a 15-year-old boy have been charged in the shooting of Khalise Weatherspoon and an adult, neither of which were believed to be the intended target.
Police say the girl was riding a scooter at the time she was struck.
"We were just celebrating her fourth birthday just this past weekend, you know, I just don't get it. We need to stop the violence," said Richard Spires, Khalise's grandfather.
"Very angry. It makes no sense to shoot a baby, 4 years old. Very angry, and very hurt," said Pamela Williams, Khalise's aunt.
Some witnesses say the shooters emerged from the alley. One bullet struck Khalise in the abdomen, and exited through her back. Her mother ran to her.
"She come behind me and with her baby in her hands said, 'Derrik, my baby been shot.' And I grabbed the baby and I cupped her, put her in my car. And I did just what the police would do: ran every stoplight just to get her here to save this child," said Derrik Lewis, witness.
Relatives rushed Weatherspoon from the scene to Holy Cross Hospital, but doctors quickly decided she needed to be at a trauma center, so they brought her to Mount Sinai.
"She was innocent, riding her bicycle. These children should be allowed to go outside and ride their bicycles. I think it's terrible what's going on," said Gwendolyn Baxter, family friend.
A 31-year-old man walking by the scene was also shot. His injuries are not considered serious.
Police say the shooting was likely gang-related.
chicago violence, chicago shooting, local
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas