3 charged in shooting of Khalise Weatherspoon, 4, near Marquette Park
August 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Three people have been charged in the shooting of a little girl at 71st and Rockwell last week near Marquette Park.
Laquan Waters, 18, of the 6900 block of S. Artesian, Tyrese Pearson, 17, of the 9300 block of S. Greenwood and a 15-year-old boy have been charged in the shooting of Khalise Weatherspoon and an adult, neither of which were believed to be the intended target.
Police say the girl was riding a scooter at the time she was struck.
"We were just celebrating her fourth birthday just this past weekend, you know, I just don't get it. We need to stop the violence," said Richard Spires, Khalise's grandfather.
"Very angry. It makes no sense to shoot a baby, 4 years old. Very angry, and very hurt," said Pamela Williams, Khalise's aunt.
Some witnesses say the shooters emerged from the alley. One bullet struck Khalise in the abdomen, and exited through her back. Her mother ran to her.
"She come behind me and with her baby in her hands said, 'Derrik, my baby been shot.' And I grabbed the baby and I cupped her, put her in my car. And I did just what the police would do: ran every stoplight just to get her here to save this child," said Derrik Lewis, witness.
Relatives rushed Weatherspoon from the scene to Holy Cross Hospital, but doctors quickly decided she needed to be at a trauma center, so they brought her to Mount Sinai.
"She was innocent, riding her bicycle. These children should be allowed to go outside and ride their bicycles. I think it's terrible what's going on," said Gwendolyn Baxter, family friend.
A 31-year-old man walking by the scene was also shot. His injuries are not considered serious.
Police say the shooting was likely gang-related.
chicago violence, chicago shooting, local
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra train fatally hits man on NW Side 19 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 36 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 53 min ago
- Ill. communities spurring renewable energy 25 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial 38 min ago
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 32 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant 22 min ago
- 7 in :77