6-year-old shot in car with mother on West Side
August 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A shootout in a West Side neighborhood left a 6-year-old boy wounded.
The boy, Keonte Mayes, reportedly was shot in the shoulder while he was in a car with his mother at approximately 11:30 p.m. Friday. Police say the family was headed home in a minivan.
Witnesses said a gun was fired by a person in a passing car who was targetting someone in another car.
It all happened block's away from the boy's home.
The boy was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where he remained Saturday. There was no word on the child's condition or who shot him.
Authorities said they were searching for the shooter.
No one was in custody Saturday morning.
Friends tell ABC7 the boy's father was shot to death one month ago.
local, evelyn holmes
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes 40 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77