West Pullman shooting kills 2 brothers Leandre Cooper, Demetrius Cooper
August 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A South Side family said it was mourning two brothers who were shot to death Tuesday in the 100-block of East 120th Street.
That incident was just one of multiple shootings across the city Monday night and early Tuesday.
Shots were fired at approximately 3:40 a.m. The two men, identified by relatives as Leandre Cooper, 38, and Demetrius Cooper, 35, were hit in the head. Both men died at the scene, which was around the corner from their mother's house. Police remained on hand several hours.
Family members say the two men were brothers. Although the area is known for gang violence, relatives described the victims as family men, not troublemakers.
"All I can say is why? How am I going to get downstairs? They get me something to eat, take my medicine. They were my everything," the men's mother said off-camera.
"Those are my cousins," said Karlese Henderson. "They're good guys. They visit their mother all the time over here. It's just ridiculous. It just don't make no sense. It just needs to stop."
According to relatives, the brothers were at their mother's house for a family get-together before they headed out to get cigarettes and were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Family members also said a third person might have been a target, but police would not confirm that.
The crime scene got violent again shortly after 6:30 a.m. when a group of men approached family members gathered, and the two groups started screaming at each other. A scuffle broke out. Chicago police moved in quickly and arrested two men.
Henderson said the family also lost another loved one just six months ago. So, the family is extremely distraught.
"For my auntie to lose both of her kids at one time, it's such a tragedy. It's just terrible," Henderson said.
The family would not release any photos of the victims at this time.ABC7 Chicago is told Leandre Cooper leaves behind a wife and four children who described their father as a loving, supportive man.
local, diane pathieu
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 31 min ago
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders 33 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics 41 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 29 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 26 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant 23 min ago
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape 26 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
31 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
29 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos