1 dead, 7 injured in funeral procession crash
August 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One person was killed and seven people were taken to hospitals -- four in serious to critical condition -- after a traffic crash involving a funeral procession on the Far South Side Tuesday afternoon.
ABC7 has learned that Dennis Canady, the driver of the Buick LeSabre, died in the accident. Four others remain in critical condition on Tuesday night.
The crash around 1 p.m. in Morgan Park at 109th and Vincennes involved three vehicles, including a Buick LeSabre, which was involved in a funeral procession at the time, according to Fire Media. The LeSabre was carrying seven people. A beverage delivery truck and a Lincoln Continental driven by an elderly woman were also involved.
Four people were pinned in one car and heavy tools had to be used by firefighters to extricate them.
One victim is 3 or 4 years old, another is 15. Witnesses say the LeSabre went around a truck into oncoming traffic and was broadsided by the Continental.
An EMS Plan I response, which sends at least five ambulances, was called by fire officials at the scene.
One child was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in serious to critical condition; one adult was taken to Christ Hospital in serious to critical condition; and two people were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious to critical condition. Two adults were taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in fair to serious condition; and one was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in fair to serious condition. One person refused medical attention.
Hours later at that same intersection, ABC7'S Theresa Gutierrez was getting ready to do a live report when another car crash happened.
One vehicle rear-ended another, and a third car smashed into the back of the vehicle that triggered the first crash.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Canonization preparations underway in Rome
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Gov't officials discuss campus sex assaults
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee
- 3 shot in Lawndale near 16th, St. Louis
- NIU hazing death case in court
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- City to build Barack Obama College Prep HS
- Mayor Emanuel criticized for proposed property tax hike
- Photos: Fermilab debuts first bison baby of 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game