Chicago unveils Safe Passage routes for CPS students
August 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The City of Chicago and Chicago Public Schools have unveiled the list of Safe Passage routes.
Displaced students from about 50 closed schools will be going to new buildings for the new school year. The city says it's ready with safe passage signs, updated sidewalks and 600 safe passage workers in yellow vests.
This is one passageway here in West Town, near Otis Elementary. Betsy Rodriguez's son attends the school and she welcomes the changes.
"I think people shy away from areas that are highly-populated with security and neighbors, and I think that everybody's really vigilant," said Betsy Rodriguez, parent.
"You can never be too safe, especially in the city, no matter what neighborhood you're in, I think there's always a concern. But in terms of Noble Square and West Town, from my experience, it's been completely safe," said Charlie Hobart, resident.
But some critics say safe passage could be a false sense of security. The part-time workers selected from the community are not armed cops.
"Like safe passage plans that we've had in the past, they will be amended. They're not embedded in stone, and we do this every day with the existing safe passages. And that is, it is a daily communication and daily opportunity, where we know there may be an incident, we trust the Chicago Police Department and our safety and security to make sure that we are informed and updated, regularly, actually, it's every single day," said Barbara Byrd-Bennett, CEO, CPS.
The city developed the network of safe passage routes following meetings with parents, teachers, community groups and Chicago police. The safe passage routes cover seven schools on the North Side, 19 on the West Side and 26 on the South Side -- all for kids from the 50 schools that were recently closed.
Safe passage workers will call police if they have any issues, but if there is a life-threatening issue, they will be allowed to step in.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 2 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 3 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway 47 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
37 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
2 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos