I-94 NB lanes shut down near Wadsworth due to multi-vehicle fiery crash
August 16, 2013 (WLS) -- A fiery multi-vehicle accident in the northbound lanes of I-94 shut down both traffic in both directions near Wadsworth, but the southbound lanes have since been reopened.
A number of vehicles, including several semis are involved. The accident occurred in the northbound lanes, where at least one semi burst into flames.
Officials say a box truck blew a tire while traveling in the northbound lane of I-94, lost control and sideswiped a semi-truck. The semi-truck hit the center wall and light pole, which fell across the southbound lanes of I-94 and struck three vehicles in the opposite lanes.The semi-truck burst into flames, but the fire has since been extinguished.
Traffic is backed up in both directions as officials attempt to detour traffic around the accident. Officials expect the northbound lanes to remain closed for some time as they continue to clear debris.
Only minor injuries have been reported, police say.
Stay tuned to ABC7 at 4 p.m. for more on this developing story.
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 4 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration 59 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Dominick's offers more discounts as stores close 5 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged 38 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Deck the malls with security
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos