I-94 NB lanes shut down near Wadsworth due to multi-vehicle fiery crash
August 16, 2013 (WLS) -- A fiery multi-vehicle accident in the northbound lanes of I-94 shut down both traffic in both directions near Wadsworth, but the southbound lanes have since been reopened.
A number of vehicles, including several semis are involved. The accident occurred in the northbound lanes, where at least one semi burst into flames.
Officials say a box truck blew a tire while traveling in the northbound lane of I-94, lost control and sideswiped a semi-truck. The semi-truck hit the center wall and light pole, which fell across the southbound lanes of I-94 and struck three vehicles in the opposite lanes.The semi-truck burst into flames, but the fire has since been extinguished.
Traffic is backed up in both directions as officials attempt to detour traffic around the accident. Officials expect the northbound lanes to remain closed for some time as they continue to clear debris.
Only minor injuries have been reported, police say.
Stay tuned to ABC7 at 4 p.m. for more on this developing story.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits