U-46 Elgin-area schools back in session
August 19, 2013 (BARTLETT, Ill.) (WLS) -- Summer break is winding down for students across Illinois, and Monday marked the first day of classes for the second-largest school district in the state.
Elgin's U-46 school district welcomed back about 41,000 students from kindergarten through 12th grade Monday morning.
The district serves parts of 11 different communities in Cook, DuPage, and Kane counties.
Rooms are decorated, floors are polished and the excitement at Bartlett Elementary is more contagious than a giggle at a cafeteria lunch table.
"I'm just happy I'm in the sixth grade," said sixth grader Joey Alderson. "It's my last year before middle school."
"It's kind of nice to see my friends and meeting the new teachers," said Quinn Kamarauskas, fifth grader.
A lot of thought and planning goes into what to wear on the first day of school. Fifth grader Maria Joseph gave us a little fashion show.
"When it's school I get to go, I love picking out my own clothes. It's really fun for me," she said. "I have a shirt from Justice, leggings and Sketchers."
"On the infrastructure side, we've purchased 90 new buses, 3,000 new laptops for teachers, and 25 of our buildings have undergone some type of renovation," said Patrick Mogge, School District U-46.
Eighteen new teachers have also been hired to expand arts, P.E. and music in elementary schools, and the opportunity for students to learn two languages starting in kindergarten has been extended.
Bartlett Elementary Principal Karen Luebke says so far the first day back has gone smoothly.
"There's nothing like watching them get off the bus and seeing their excitement in seeing each other. They look good, they smell good, the building just smells like new crayons," she said.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 58 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
58 min ago