Gary cashier shot, killed in broad daylight
August 19, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- The search is on for a killer after a shooting at a northwest Indiana convenience store.
A 28-year-old cashier was killed. Investigators are trying to determine if robbery was the motive.
The shooting happened around noon Sunday in the 1600-block of Virginia in Gary. The store is closed Monday after Gary police found Mihid Abutemeh shot in the doorway.
Nearby residents said they knew they could get a few quick items at the Food Mart on Virginia and could count on generosity. Residents and police say the mart had been robbed previously.
local, leah hope
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas