Taser training for Schaumburg police
August 19, 2013 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Schaumburg Police Department is expanding the use of tasers and its officers are learning how to handle and fire one properly.
It looks like some type of high-tech gun, but it fires two darts attached to wires that send thousands of volts of electricity through the body basically paralyzing the subject for five seconds, allowing police to control a suspect who is threatening an officer or someone else.
"It's the worst five seconds of your life. It hurts really bad," said Schaumburg Police tazer instructor Abdel Hamid.
Officer Hamid got tased as part of her training to become an instructor. The Schaumburg Police Department started using tasers for a few officers as an experiment a year ago. Now they are expanding the program to give one to all officers.
As part of the training, they invited me to take the class, learn about stun guns and fire one at their indoor range. The taser fires the darts at subjects up to about 25 feet away.
The taser, which costs $2,000, comes equipped with a laser light, so aiming is easy. It fires two darts simultaneously which are attached by wires to the gun and both need to hit the target for the electrical charge to work.
They said it's a little easier to fire than a handgun. It's lighter and there's no kickback.
local, john garcia
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court 23 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 17 min ago
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos