Woman, 28, found dead in Waukegan
August 20, 2013 (WAUKEGAN, Ill.) (WLS) -- Monica Williams, 28, was found dead after her family called police because they had not heard from her.
Waukegan Police were not releasing a lot of information Tuesday around 6 p.m. They say they found Williams's body inside her apartment Saturday about 18 hours after they believe she was killed.
Balloons and flowers were a memorial to a woman neighbors describe as a devoted, hardworking mother.
"She was a single parent and she worked very hard for her kids," said neighbor Miranda Diaz. "She would do anything for her girls."
The last time neighbors say they saw Williams she was leaving for a party Saturday night. Her two children were staying with a neighbor.
When the children returned home Sunday, no one answered the door. Neighbors in the small apartment building say they had no idea what happened.
"I'm really concerned because you don't know if it was something personal or if someone out here killing people randomly," said neighbor Jesus Diaz.
Neighbors say police told them Williams was stabbed to death sometime after 2 a.m. Sunday morning. They found her body in the bathroom.
"It was right above me, and the fact that i didn't hear anything... makes it even worse," said neighbor Millicent Finch.
Police say they are looking for help from the public. They would not say if they have any suspects at this point, but they did say they do not believe there is an immediate threat to the public.
local, john garcia
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand