Baby missing, man in custody in Zion
August 21, 2013 (ZION, Ill.) (WLS) -- ABC7 has confirmed a man is in custody, but a 5-month-old boy remains missing Wednesday night in Zion after the boy's mother says someone took the child from her home.
Police have been searching for this child since early Wednesday morning. At one point, more than 100 police officers were searching for the baby with no luck.
Joshua Summeries was apparently the only child in the apartment. His mother saw him at 5 a.m. and when she went to check on him at 8 a.m., she discovered he was missing and saw evidence of an abduction.
This took place in the 2300 block of Galilee Avenue in Zion. When investigators arrived, they also found evidence that made them concerned for the baby's safety.
They have been searching dumpsters and abandoned buildings in the area. They are also looking for a person of interest, a man familiar with the family who had been in and out of the apartment.
Police continue to interview people who may know something or had been in the area. Several agencies have been called in to assist, including the Lake County Child Abduction Response Team.
"The mother was the last one there to see him and in fact believes there was an abduction and some of the evidence points to that," said Zion Police Chief Wayne Brooks.
"I think that it's really sad and whoever has the child should bring him back so he can be safe," said area resident Mennie Smith.
"It's heartbreaking," said area resident Brittany Cabell. "For a 5 months, you think your baby in the crib and the baby is not there. It's devastating, very much so."
For a time, Galilee Avenue was closed off while the painstaking search for the infant continued. The street has since been re-opened.
local, leah hope
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation