Victim of South Side chainsaw attack speaks out, suspect charged
August 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 50-year-old man accused of drunkenly attacking his best friend early Wednesday morning with a chain saw was charged aggravated battery, police announced Friday.
Anthony Metcalf, Preston Smith's former friend, faces an aggravated battery charge for the chainsaw attack.
Metcalf is in jail on a $300,000 bond.
"I can't be friends with anybody who tried to kill me," said Preston Smith, victim of the chainsaw attack. "The friendship, or whatever, is over with, put it in justice hands and God's hands."
Rhonda Smith, the victim's wife, said she has seen the two argue over everything, like football teams and football players.
Smith said he was having drinks in Metcalf's backyard, in the 1000 block of West 103rd Wednesday morning, when words were exchanged.
"Words about some money he owed and, you know, then he kept getting irate with me," said Smith. "He came out of nowhere with the chainsaw and said, 'what have you got to say now,' I couldn't say anything, I was ducking for my life."
The argument, which led to the attack, was over $30.
Metcalf's attorney mentioned that there is cell phone video but declined to release that video.
"There were family members in the alley that took cell phone video of what happened, and it shows that what the state said happened did not happen that way," said Metcalf's attorney.
Dr. Gary Kronen, Smith's hand surgeon, said Smith has a good prognosis although his recovery will take months.
"I think a lot of it is going to depend on hard work he's going to need to do with his occupational therapy program afterwards," said Kronen. "Fortunately, his wife is an occupational therapist who can help him along with that."
Rhonda Smith said that although she will help Smith with therapy at home, he will also have his an outside therapist
"I'm very blessed that I didn't lose my hand....that he didn't hit me in the face or anywhere else," said Smith.
local, stacey baca
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1, missing from Chicago's South Side 2 min ago
- Murder warrant issued for LSD standoff suspect 2 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Unclaimed items auctioned off by treasurer's office
- Gary Bettenhausen, race car driver, dead at 72 39 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1,...
2 min ago