Police officer attacked with baseball bat in West Englewood
August 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer was in the hospital in serious condition Saturday after, investigators say, an attacker hit him in the head with a baseball bat.
Police say the officer on duty and was responding to a call on the city's South Side at around 12:30 a.m. in the 5700-block of South Winchester Avenue.
Accroding to police, the officer was trying to break up a fight in the middle of the street. One man allegedly hit the officer in the head with the bat repeatedly after the officer got out of his car.
More than a dozen officers responded to the scene to investigate later.
The injured officer was being treated at Stroger Hospital. No one was in custody later Saturday morning.
Area South detectives say they are investigating.
local, diane pathieu
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos