Police officer attacked with baseball bat in West Englewood
August 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer was in the hospital in serious condition Saturday after, investigators say, an attacker hit him in the head with a baseball bat.
Police say the officer on duty and was responding to a call on the city's South Side at around 12:30 a.m. in the 5700-block of South Winchester Avenue.
Accroding to police, the officer was trying to break up a fight in the middle of the street. One man allegedly hit the officer in the head with the bat repeatedly after the officer got out of his car.
More than a dozen officers responded to the scene to investigate later.
The injured officer was being treated at Stroger Hospital. No one was in custody later Saturday morning.
Area South detectives say they are investigating.
local, diane pathieu
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet 38 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 55 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 35 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
36 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
38 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
55 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
44 min ago