Emanuel, Gutierrez attend immigration workshop
August 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- This month marks the one-year anniversary of President Obama's "Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals" policy and to honor the progress made so far on immigration reform Chicago's Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Illinois Congressman Luis Gutierrez listened in during a workshop as immigrants describe their personal stories.
"I was stopped by border patrol I was questioned, I was detained for two and a half days, on a bond, because I came with a visa otherwise I don't know how long I would have been detained," one speaker said.
"We have a system that does not reflect where the country is going it doesn't reflect, in my view, what the country's self-interest is and that reflects the city of Chicago," Emanuel said.
A year ago, President Obama signed an executive order protecting young people from being deported.
More than 500,000 young people have applied for deportation relief since June. An immigration reform bill is currently stuck in the House of Representatives, with members of the house divided.
Rep. Gutierrez is one of the bill's strong supporters.
rahm emanuel, local
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 9 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van 15 min ago
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality 10 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 2 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
2 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning...
15 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
9 min ago
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
10 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos