Young victims injured in weekend shootings
August 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are investigating several weekend shootings in Chicago. Among the victims was a 14-year-old shot and killed at a block party on the city's West Side.
Also, an 11-year-old girl was injured while sitting with relatives on the front porch of her Northwest Side home.
Fourteen-year-old Lavandar Hearnes had just finished the 9th grade at Melody Stem School. He played on the football team and was about to start high school. But late Saturday night, Hearnes was shot and killed, just steps from his former school, while at a block party in Garfield Park.
"He was a cool kid," said former classmate Jermaine Cullen. "Very athletic. Played football. Played for the Gators. He was always around his friends. He was a good kid."
Police say Hearnes was standing alongside several other people when he was shot in the left side of the chest. But at this point they don't know if the teenager was the intended target, or was, as his family insists, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The shooting is one of two involving young people Sunday. The second took place at 4 a.m. on the 2300 block of North Kostner, when police say a woman shot at a group of people sitting on the front porch of this home. Eleven-year-old Cindy Leon was hit.
Fortunately the girl was not seriously injured and she's back home recovering from the wound. Her stepfather said he expects her to be well enough to start school Monday.
"I feel bad," Santiago Galves said. "It's crazy. It's dangerous. You can't sit outside because people start shooting. They don't care."
local, michelle gallardo
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 7 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 32 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 23 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 24 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 10 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
51 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
7 min ago