Young victims injured in weekend shootings
August 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are investigating several weekend shootings in Chicago. Among the victims was a 14-year-old shot and killed at a block party on the city's West Side.
Also, an 11-year-old girl was injured while sitting with relatives on the front porch of her Northwest Side home.
Fourteen-year-old Lavandar Hearnes had just finished the 9th grade at Melody Stem School. He played on the football team and was about to start high school. But late Saturday night, Hearnes was shot and killed, just steps from his former school, while at a block party in Garfield Park.
"He was a cool kid," said former classmate Jermaine Cullen. "Very athletic. Played football. Played for the Gators. He was always around his friends. He was a good kid."
Police say Hearnes was standing alongside several other people when he was shot in the left side of the chest. But at this point they don't know if the teenager was the intended target, or was, as his family insists, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The shooting is one of two involving young people Sunday. The second took place at 4 a.m. on the 2300 block of North Kostner, when police say a woman shot at a group of people sitting on the front porch of this home. Eleven-year-old Cindy Leon was hit.
Fortunately the girl was not seriously injured and she's back home recovering from the wound. Her stepfather said he expects her to be well enough to start school Monday.
"I feel bad," Santiago Galves said. "It's crazy. It's dangerous. You can't sit outside because people start shooting. They don't care."
local, michelle gallardo
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 26 min ago
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary 15 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 10 min ago
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
10 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly...
29 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
26 min ago
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last...
15 min ago