Purple Hotel in Lincolnwood to be demolished by wrecking ball
August 26, 2013 (LINCOLNWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Purple Hotel will be demolished by a wrecking ball. The iconic hotel in Lincolnwood was once a top venue for entertainers including Perry Como, Roberta Flack and Barry Manilow when they came to Chicago.
The demolition begins at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, August 27.
Known for its unusual color, the Purple Hotel was the Pritzker family's first Hyatt property in the Chicago area. It opened in 1962.
The site of the Purple Hotel, at the intersection of Lincoln and Touhy avenues, will be used for restaurants, retail and another hotel.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies after Bellwood shooting 49 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults 22 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos