Purple Hotel in Lincolnwood to be demolished by wrecking ball
August 26, 2013 (LINCOLNWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Purple Hotel will be demolished by a wrecking ball. The iconic hotel in Lincolnwood was once a top venue for entertainers including Perry Como, Roberta Flack and Barry Manilow when they came to Chicago.
The demolition begins at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, August 27.
Known for its unusual color, the Purple Hotel was the Pritzker family's first Hyatt property in the Chicago area. It opened in 1962.
The site of the Purple Hotel, at the intersection of Lincoln and Touhy avenues, will be used for restaurants, retail and another hotel.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos