John Anthony sworn in as Republican state representative
August 26, 2013 (MORRIS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Southwest of Chicago, an African American becomes the first black Republican in the legislature in thirty years.
John Anthony, 37, was sworn in as a state representative on Monday.
He was picked by Republicans in Kendall, Grundy, LaSalle and Will counties to replace the previous representative who resigned.
Anthony had been a police officer and a sheriff's deputy.
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 18 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 34 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- 6 shot at party in Austin 12 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Japanese jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu 19 min ago
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos