Navy vet murder charges filed against 18-year-old Chicago man Devon Brunt
August 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An 18-year-old man has been charged in the murder of a Navy veteran who was a student at Chicago State University.
The suspect, Devon Brunt of Chicago, is accused of gunning down Telkia Burns during a robbery. Brunt is facing first-degree murder charges.
Burns, 33, was shot and killed in the 9100-block of South Commercial Sunday afternoon as he was attempting to go into his apartment.
"He had broken his pelvis and was on a cane. So, he was not able to fight. You cannot fight a gun. No way to get around that," said Katherine Burns, mom.
Burns was shot in the temple. Police say security cameras on the street helped lead them to a suspect.
Family members say Burns, the father of two children, was working on a college degree and wanted to become a counselor.
" It's really hard, but we are going to get over it," Tina Burns, sister. "He was a good father, very good in school; he had one more year."
"The university has been very nice. They are honoring him with a plaque and are planting a tree in his honor. He worked with the youth," said Katherine Burns. "He was in Iraq War, Kuwait, Japan, and he was fluent in Japanese."
The family says Burns was recognized by the Navy a number of times for his work in the military.
Meanwhile, Brunt was expected to appear in bond court Wednesday.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens 3 min ago
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat Bill Foster
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students
- Woodstock man accused in 8 rapes waives jury trial
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Video: Time-Lapse Video: Snow Melt in Naperville
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation