Navy vet murder charges filed against 18-year-old Chicago man Devon Brunt
August 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An 18-year-old man has been charged in the murder of a Navy veteran who was a student at Chicago State University.
The suspect, Devon Brunt of Chicago, is accused of gunning down Telkia Burns during a robbery. Brunt is facing first-degree murder charges.
Burns, 33, was shot and killed in the 9100-block of South Commercial Sunday afternoon as he was attempting to go into his apartment.
"He had broken his pelvis and was on a cane. So, he was not able to fight. You cannot fight a gun. No way to get around that," said Katherine Burns, mom.
Burns was shot in the temple. Police say security cameras on the street helped lead them to a suspect.
Family members say Burns, the father of two children, was working on a college degree and wanted to become a counselor.
" It's really hard, but we are going to get over it," Tina Burns, sister. "He was a good father, very good in school; he had one more year."
"The university has been very nice. They are honoring him with a plaque and are planting a tree in his honor. He worked with the youth," said Katherine Burns. "He was in Iraq War, Kuwait, Japan, and he was fluent in Japanese."
The family says Burns was recognized by the Navy a number of times for his work in the military.
Meanwhile, Brunt was expected to appear in bond court Wednesday.
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr. 1 min ago
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years 33 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 21 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978 20 min ago
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- ABC 7 to Go April 23, 2014
3 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos