New Great America roller coaster Goliath due in 2014
August 29, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Six Flags Great America has announced plans for the next addition to its arsenal of rides with a new wooden roller coaster.
New for 2014, Six Flags says Goliath will be the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world and feature the world's tallest and steepest drop. All totaled, the coaster will tout three world records.
The ride will feature two inversions and an 85-degree plunge after Goliath takes riders up a 165-foot lift hill, then plunges them down a record-setting 180 foot drop, Six flags says.
Riders will gain record-breaking speeds of up to 72 miles per hour, hit three over-banked turns, a 180-degree zero-G roll, an inverted drop and an inverted zero-G stall, Six Flags said.
Goliath will make its home in the County Fair section of the park. Construction begins this fall and Goliath is scheduled to open spring of 2014.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes 44 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77