New Great America roller coaster Goliath due in 2014
August 29, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Six Flags Great America has announced plans for the next addition to its arsenal of rides with a new wooden roller coaster.
New for 2014, Six Flags says Goliath will be the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world and feature the world's tallest and steepest drop. All totaled, the coaster will tout three world records.
The ride will feature two inversions and an 85-degree plunge after Goliath takes riders up a 165-foot lift hill, then plunges them down a record-setting 180 foot drop, Six flags says.
Riders will gain record-breaking speeds of up to 72 miles per hour, hit three over-banked turns, a 180-degree zero-G roll, an inverted drop and an inverted zero-G stall, Six Flags said.
Goliath will make its home in the County Fair section of the park. Construction begins this fall and Goliath is scheduled to open spring of 2014.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake