New Great America roller coaster Goliath due in 2014
August 29, 2013 (GURNEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Six Flags Great America has announced plans for the next addition to its arsenal of rides with a new wooden roller coaster.
New for 2014, Six Flags says Goliath will be the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world and feature the world's tallest and steepest drop. All totaled, the coaster will tout three world records.
The ride will feature two inversions and an 85-degree plunge after Goliath takes riders up a 165-foot lift hill, then plunges them down a record-setting 180 foot drop, Six flags says.
Riders will gain record-breaking speeds of up to 72 miles per hour, hit three over-banked turns, a 180-degree zero-G roll, an inverted drop and an inverted zero-G stall, Six Flags said.
Goliath will make its home in the County Fair section of the park. Construction begins this fall and Goliath is scheduled to open spring of 2014.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains