No serious crashes reported 2 months into Divvy bikes
August 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Putting thousands of commuters and tourists on borrowed bikes and sending them cruising through downtown Chicago is apparently NOT a recipe for disaster. At least not yet.
Chicago's bike sharing program, known as Divvy, celebrates its two month anniversary this week. A spokesperson for the Chicago Department of Transportation tells ABC 7 there have not been any serious injury crashes reported to Chicago Police involving Divvy bikes.
"It's been a successful, widely popular and safe launch of this new bike sharing system," said CDOT spokesman Pete Scales. Some have raised concerns that many people who ride the borrowed bikes don't wear helmets and may not be familiar with city traffic. CDOT and its partners at Divvy encourage riders to wear helmets but do not provide them with bike rental.
Scales said the bicycles themselves are designed keep riders in an upright position so they are more visible to traffic and riders can see potential dangers. As for concerns that mixing novice riders and Chicago traffic may be an accident waiting to happen, CDOT plans to do more to keep cyclists and cars separated. In the Loop, Dearborn Street already has a protected bike lane running north and south. There are plans to add an east-west protected lane along Washington Street next year.
This week Divvy plans to open its 200th bike sharing station in Chicago. A daily pass is available for purchase at each station for $7. It allows riders an unlimited number of rides in a 24-hour period, but no individual ride can last longer than 30 minutes without accruing extra charges. Annual memberships are available for $75 at divvybikes.com.
local, ben bradley
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- 7 in :77