Off-duty Chicago cop fights off attacker on Sauganash running path
August 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An off-duty Chicago police officer fought off a man who tried to sexually assault her. The attack happened in the middle of the afternoon when the woman was jogging near Bryn Mawr and Kostner in the Sauganash neighborhood.
The attack happened around 2:45 p.m. Thursday afternoon on a dirt running path on the Northwest Side. The man rode up on his bicycle alongside the woman and tried to take her down. He likely had no idea the woman he was trying to assault was an off-duty Chicago police officer. The Sauganash neighborhood is home to hundreds of Chicago's men and women in blue.
"This is the first time I've heard of something this severe happening, where someone was actually attacked. I walk my dog all the time, and for me it's a big concern because I did feel safe here walking my dog," said Julie Iverson, Sauganash resident.
"Everyone feels safe living here, there's cops living here, there's firefighters living here, there's great families, great people," said Kerry Zeman, Sauganash resident.
The woman fought back with such force that hospitals are one of the places police say they are looking for the attacker. A witness said that realizing he was no match for the woman, the attacker allegedly sped off on his bike.
Police say the off-duty police officer was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries and released. Police continue to search for the suspect.
local, ben bradley
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 1 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 32 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 53 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
9 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
1 min ago