Off-duty Chicago cop fights off attacker on Sauganash running path
August 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An off-duty Chicago police officer fought off a man who tried to sexually assault her. The attack happened in the middle of the afternoon when the woman was jogging near Bryn Mawr and Kostner in the Sauganash neighborhood.
The attack happened around 2:45 p.m. Thursday afternoon on a dirt running path on the Northwest Side. The man rode up on his bicycle alongside the woman and tried to take her down. He likely had no idea the woman he was trying to assault was an off-duty Chicago police officer. The Sauganash neighborhood is home to hundreds of Chicago's men and women in blue.
"This is the first time I've heard of something this severe happening, where someone was actually attacked. I walk my dog all the time, and for me it's a big concern because I did feel safe here walking my dog," said Julie Iverson, Sauganash resident.
"Everyone feels safe living here, there's cops living here, there's firefighters living here, there's great families, great people," said Kerry Zeman, Sauganash resident.
The woman fought back with such force that hospitals are one of the places police say they are looking for the attacker. A witness said that realizing he was no match for the woman, the attacker allegedly sped off on his bike.
Police say the off-duty police officer was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries and released. Police continue to search for the suspect.
local, ben bradley
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking