Girl who drowned in Fox Lake ID'd as Mia Cardenas, 9
August 30, 2013 (ROUND LAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- The girl who drowned in Fox Lake is identified as Mireya ''Mia'' Cardenas, 9, of Round Lake.
Cardenas was wading in the water with her family and friends in Ingleside when she went under. She died on Tuesday.
Her family released a photo from her first day of school. She's hugging an employee at Fremont Intermediate School in Fremont Elementary District 79. School administrators say she was a kind-hearted child who loved making friends.
A visitation and memorial service will be held in Libertyville on Tuesday, September 3. Pink balloons will be released in the child's memory, school officials said.
- Officer in good condition following police chase 30 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...