Girl who drowned in Fox Lake ID'd as Mia Cardenas, 9
August 30, 2013 (ROUND LAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- The girl who drowned in Fox Lake is identified as Mireya ''Mia'' Cardenas, 9, of Round Lake.
Cardenas was wading in the water with her family and friends in Ingleside when she went under. She died on Tuesday.
Her family released a photo from her first day of school. She's hugging an employee at Fremont Intermediate School in Fremont Elementary District 79. School administrators say she was a kind-hearted child who loved making friends.
A visitation and memorial service will be held in Libertyville on Tuesday, September 3. Pink balloons will be released in the child's memory, school officials said.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 42 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus