Knife-wielding man shot by Skokie police
August 31, 2013 (SKOKIE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A confrontation between Skokie police and a knife-wielding man ended with the suspect being shot and the entire incident was caught on camera as it unfolded just before 10 a.m. Saturday near Skokie Blvd. and Oakton Street.
Investigators say that the suspect, who was wanted in connection with a crime in neighboring Evanston, was shot and wounded by police after he lunged at them with a knife.
Video shows what happened moments before Skokie police officers shot a man allegedly wielding a knife.
A bystander who asked not to be identified recorded the Saturday morning confrontation on his cellphone.
Authorities say the incident began just before 10 o'clock after Skokie police got a call from Evanston police about a suspect from a battery that happened on a CTA bus traveling from one suburb to the other.
That's when officers were called to the 4800 block of Oakton Street where a suspect matching the description confronted a local business owner.
"An officer arrived shortly on the scene and sees the suspect matching that description, asks him to stop. As he's asking him to stop, turns to him and realizes he's holding a knife," said Sgt. David Pawlak.
Other cops were called to the scene.
Investigators say the suspect, a 53-year old man, refused to drop the weapon, even after officers struck him with a baton and sprayed him with pepper spray.
Police say as the incident made its way to the intersection of Oakton Street and Skokie Blvd. the man lunged at officers again.
That's when a 14-year veteran if the Skokie police force fired at the suspect striking him in the leg.
The suspect was taken to the hospital in stable condition after being shot in the leg. He remains there under police guard. Officials say no Skokie officers were injured in the incident. They also say this is the first time in five years there has been a police-involved shooting in Skokie.
The suspect has not been identified, charges against him could come in a day or two.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 4 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 46 min ago
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted 39 min ago
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago 8 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
46 min ago
- Charles "Peanut" Tillman 5k Walk/ Run
59 min ago