Knife-wielding man shot by Skokie police
August 31, 2013 (SKOKIE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A confrontation between Skokie police and a knife-wielding man ended with the suspect being shot and the entire incident was caught on camera as it unfolded just before 10 a.m. Saturday near Skokie Blvd. and Oakton Street.
Investigators say that the suspect, who was wanted in connection with a crime in neighboring Evanston, was shot and wounded by police after he lunged at them with a knife.
Video shows what happened moments before Skokie police officers shot a man allegedly wielding a knife.
A bystander who asked not to be identified recorded the Saturday morning confrontation on his cellphone.
Authorities say the incident began just before 10 o'clock after Skokie police got a call from Evanston police about a suspect from a battery that happened on a CTA bus traveling from one suburb to the other.
That's when officers were called to the 4800 block of Oakton Street where a suspect matching the description confronted a local business owner.
"An officer arrived shortly on the scene and sees the suspect matching that description, asks him to stop. As he's asking him to stop, turns to him and realizes he's holding a knife," said Sgt. David Pawlak.
Other cops were called to the scene.
Investigators say the suspect, a 53-year old man, refused to drop the weapon, even after officers struck him with a baton and sprayed him with pepper spray.
Police say as the incident made its way to the intersection of Oakton Street and Skokie Blvd. the man lunged at officers again.
That's when a 14-year veteran if the Skokie police force fired at the suspect striking him in the leg.
The suspect was taken to the hospital in stable condition after being shot in the leg. He remains there under police guard. Officials say no Skokie officers were injured in the incident. They also say this is the first time in five years there has been a police-involved shooting in Skokie.
The suspect has not been identified, charges against him could come in a day or two.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 12 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 1 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 3 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 47 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 37 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 37 min ago
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears 11 min ago
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago 24 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
1 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
3 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos