Vigil held for man slain in Old Town
September 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Family and friends of a young man gunned down in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood over the weekend are asking for help tracking down the killer of 22-year-old Ramaine Hill, who leaves behind a 2-year-old son.
Hill's family said that he was kind and generous, and wasn't one to cause trouble, but trouble found him Saturday. They say he was targeted by gang members who had been threatening him the past couple of years.
A day after Hill was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds, his large, close-knit family gathered in Seward Park near the site where he was gunned down to grieve.
"He was my everything," said former girlfriend Kaprice Pruitt. "It just feels like my heart was snatched out."
Pruitt is the mother of Hill's 2-year old son.
By all accounts, Hill was a devoted father who tried to provide for his family by working at the Jewel at Clark and Division.
Hill was headed to work Saturday afternoon when he was shot in the head. Police say the gunman ran from the scene.
Hill's relatives say they believe the shooting was committed by neighborhood gang members who had unfinished business. Two years ago, Hill was shot and helped put the gunman in jail. His family says since then, Hill, who was not in a gang, was on their radar.
"They just wouldn't leave him alone," said Pruitt. "After the first shooting, they kept picking with him, kept picking with him and kept picking with him."
On Sunday evening, Hill's family mourned the loss of the 22-year-old's life and called for an end to violence. Police are still investigating the shooting. No one is in custody.
chicago shooting, chicago violence, local, karen jordan
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale 42 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- KevinTrudeau to be sentenced in federal court 13 min ago
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected 36 min ago
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills 33 min ago
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting 26 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays 9 min ago
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- 7 in :77
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
42 min ago