Vigil held for man slain in Old Town
September 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Family and friends of a young man gunned down in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood over the weekend are asking for help tracking down the killer of 22-year-old Ramaine Hill, who leaves behind a 2-year-old son.
Hill's family said that he was kind and generous, and wasn't one to cause trouble, but trouble found him Saturday. They say he was targeted by gang members who had been threatening him the past couple of years.
A day after Hill was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds, his large, close-knit family gathered in Seward Park near the site where he was gunned down to grieve.
"He was my everything," said former girlfriend Kaprice Pruitt. "It just feels like my heart was snatched out."
Pruitt is the mother of Hill's 2-year old son.
By all accounts, Hill was a devoted father who tried to provide for his family by working at the Jewel at Clark and Division.
Hill was headed to work Saturday afternoon when he was shot in the head. Police say the gunman ran from the scene.
Hill's relatives say they believe the shooting was committed by neighborhood gang members who had unfinished business. Two years ago, Hill was shot and helped put the gunman in jail. His family says since then, Hill, who was not in a gang, was on their radar.
"They just wouldn't leave him alone," said Pruitt. "After the first shooting, they kept picking with him, kept picking with him and kept picking with him."
On Sunday evening, Hill's family mourned the loss of the 22-year-old's life and called for an end to violence. Police are still investigating the shooting. No one is in custody.
chicago shooting, chicago violence, local, karen jordan
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Oklahoma earthquake rattles state at magnitude 4.5 37 min ago
- Stranded hiker rescued from Tenn. waterfall ledge 37 min ago
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,... 45 min ago
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport 32 min ago