Reward offered in Naperville diamond heist
September 4, 2013 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Naperville police are offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to three people who pulled off a diamond heist last week.
It was a diamond distraction-- that was the modus operandi for three thieves who distracted a jewelry store owner and swiped the gems. The catch is, the owner had six cameras up and rolling that captured it all.
The diamonds were worth $185,000 said Sgt. Louis Cammiso, Naperville Police Department.
Naperville Police want the woman shown in custody after a heist at Precious Fine Jewelry on Showplace Drive, but that's not all.
"I think it's a professional raid, a total professional raid," said Rajesh Patel, jewelry store owner.
Professional because this man walked in first, wanting to buy a loose diamond for a ring.
"I went inside to get my diamond box. Same time, the other lady come - and she asked me, I'm looking for a gift for my dad," said Patel.
And shortly after that, another woman walked in. Three customers, or so the owner thought.
"It was quite apparent that the three subjects were working together, and they worked in concert to distract the employee," said Sgt. Cammiso.
So as Mr. Patel was helping two people he thought were customers, the woman mingling right here, reached over the counter, swiped a box and placed it in her purse. But not before trying once, twice, even a third time, before the fourth and final attempt.
Mr. Patel lost diamonds, but not faith in his everyday customers.
"In 6 years, I have thousands of customers came. I cannot doubt each and every one, then I will lose business," said Patel.
Naperville Police have received a few tips they will be following. Naperville Crimestoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest.
local, stacey baca
- Spring-like day followed by snow 15 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial 12 min ago
- Energy deal to save city money, but not customers 14 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 21 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 8 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by...
28 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
12 min ago
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex...
21 min ago