Med student says family engagement ring, purse stolen from Loop Starbucks
September 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- This is supposed to be one of the happiest times of life, but a med student is emotionally distraught.
An afternoon stop to a loop cafe may alter a local family's legacy. Medical student Nadia Sadeghi says she was entrusted with a family heirloom that was stolen.
"I don't want to be the person. It's survived so long," said Nadia Sadeghi.
In April, Sadeghi says her fiancé asked for her hand in marriage with a ring that had been handed down to through four generations of his family.
"It was the first warm day in April. It was unexpected but expected," said Sadeghi.
She describes the ring as a 1.2 carat round cut diamond with smaller 14 princess cut diamonds on a tapered platinum band.
"I got to be the one to have it and I just can't digest that I was the one who lost it," said Sadeghi.
The medical student says took her ring off during her hospital rotation Tuesday morning then dug in for an afternoon of studying at a café on LaSalle & Lake. She says the vintage ring was in her Gucci messenger bag and in an instant, the bag was gone.
"I didn't see my life possible after that point. I just wanted to melt and go in the ground. It was bad," said Sadeghi.
Chicago police are investigating. In the meantime, Sadeghi says she now dreads having to face her in-laws to be.
"I just want it back. I think it's worth more to that family than it will ever mean to anyone else,"
Sadeghi and her fiancé are both medical students with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and they would not have the money for another ring. They are offering reward to simply get the ring back into their family.
A Starbucks spokeswoman was unaware of the police report but says they would cooperate with any investigation. Chicago police are requesting surveillance video from that café.
Police do warn restaurant and cafe patrons to always keep valuables in sight.
chicago news, local, leah hope
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 9 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
50 min ago