2 injured, dozens evacuated in apartment fire
September 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An overnight fire forced dozens to evacuate a West Side apartment building.
The fire broke out in an extra alarm fire at an apartment building in the Garfield Park neighborhood, in the 2900 block of W. Harrison in Chicago.
The fire began about 3:40 a.m. on the fourth floor of the building, according to Fire Media Affairs.
The Office of Fire Investigations reports the cause is from careless use of smoking while in the presence of medical oxygen.
A 60-year-old man was smoking and his using medical oxygen when his bedding caught fire, said Fire Media Affairs Larry Langford.
The man tried to put out the fire with water from his bathroom but was unsuccessful. He suffered smoke inhalation and was taken in good condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, Lanford said.
The Chicago Fire Department says an officer from the 11th District was taken to Rush University Medical Center for minor smoke inhalation.
A 31-year-old Harrison District police officer who helped the man suffered minor smoke inhalation and was taken in good condition to Rush University Medical Center, Fire Media Affairs said.
At this time, all occupants are back in their homes.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this article.
local, jason knowles
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 2 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 16 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 40 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe 45 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
2 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
16 min ago